There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 22, 2023

Grosses Meringues aux Noisettes (Hazelnut Meringues) - Untested

From Madeleine Kamman's "Savoie: the Land, People, and Food of the French Alps" pg 392

6 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup peeled, toasted hazelnuts, halved
2 cups heavy cream
Hazelnut liqueur of your choice, to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and roast the hazelnuts for about 15 minutes. Once completely cooled, rub the skins off and crack in half. Set aside.
  2. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks with the salt.
  3. Gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar until the whites form stiff peaks. 
  4. Fold in the granulated sugar and the hazelnuts.
  5. Preheat the oven to 175F.
  6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  7. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions.
  8. With the help of 2 large spoons, shape the meringues and deposit them on the parchment.
  9. Let them dry in the heated oven for about 4 hours. When done they should be ivory coloured.
  10. Allow to cool completely.
  11. Once the meringues are perfectly cooled, beat the cream to nearly stiff peaks. 
  12. Add the liqueur to taste and finish beating until stiff.
  13. Cut each meringue open through its center and pipe the cream into the opening. 
Very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment