There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 22, 2023

Tarte aux croquemolles (Hazelnut Tart) - Untested

From Madeleine Kamman's "Savoie: the Land, People, and Food of the French Alps" pg 370

0 - I've re-interpreted the pastry recipe but have yet to try it. If it flops, I should go back to the original and reassess.

This is a make-ahead dessert, which needs to rest for 2 days before eating.

For the Pastry
6oz butter + 1 Tbsp
3 Tbsps sugar
Pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/3 cup finely ground hazelnuts
1 cup flour

For the Filling
4 Tbsps (56gr) butter, room temperature (soft)
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup finely ground hazelnuts
1 egg
2/3 cup raspberry jam

For the Topping
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup finely ground hazelnuts

For the Pastry
  1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the sugar, salt, vanilla and the egg.
  2. In short quick bursts, beat in the hazelnut flour just until combined.
  3. By hand with a rubber spatula gently fold in the flour until uniform.
  4. Form into a 2" thick disk and wrap to put in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes to firm up.
  5. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/6" and line a pie plate or pastry ring/flan pan with it.
For the Filling
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Combine everything except for the raspberry jam and beat together until thoroughly combined.
Pour into the pastry shell and even it out.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is set.
Remove from the oven and immediately spread the jam over the filling.
Cool to barely lukewarm.

For the Topping
Preheat the oven to 325F.
Combine the egg whites and salt in a stand mixer and whisk until soft peaks form.
Gradually add the sugar while whisking until stiff peaks form.
With a spatula gently fold in the hazelnut powder. 
Spread over the jam in an even layer well anchored to the edge of the tart.
Bake in a 325F oven for about 20 minutes or until the meringue is nice and crusty.
Serve on the second day after baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment