There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, May 12, 2023

Summer Kitchadi - PUBLISHED

https://www.3ho.org/recipe/delicious-red-lentil-kitchari/

The recipe requires spinach. Spinach doesn't do very well in the summer when Zucchini is fruiting, ergo I'm replacing the spinach with Swiss chard, as seasonality is one of the principles of my project.
1 - I'm rewriting the instructions for my reading style.
2 - It's a good recipe, and the comments on it this time is that it's 'soupier' or 'juicier' than the simple version. I want to try to lentil-to-rice ratio of the simple version next time, to compare.
3 - Nope, the original amount is good. Also made it with mung dal and it is very good. The toppings, as well, are key to the dish. The yogurt in particular is a really important component. Without is good for vegan eaters, but really good with!
4 - Yep, this is really good. I used urud dal and it's really nice. I think the carrots and potatoes and such need to go in all at once. Tonight I just put things in as they were prepared and the potato got over done (in my opinion) and the zucchini was just right, still al dente. So I have to remember to prep everything and then add it. 

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion (6oz/170g) chopped
4 carrots (12 to 15oz) chopped
4 large celery stalks, chopped (2 tsps celery seed)
2 medium potatoes, quartered and diced into bite-size pieces
10 cloves garlic (40g), minced
3” piece of peeled fresh ginger, minced (about 25g)
1 tsp hot curry powder Madras curry powder 
1 tsp garam masala 
½ tsp coriander
½ ¼ tsp  turmeric
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp salt, to taste
Pinch or 2 red chili flakes, to taste
1 cup split red lentils or split mung dal
½ to ⅔ cup white Basmati rice 
8 cups vegetable broth
1 large bay leaf
2 zucchini (400g), quartered, sliced
2 cups (72g) Swiss chard, stemmed and julienned (or other greens)
Salt, to taste
To serve provide the following toppings:
- plain yogurt
- Braggs Aminos
- steamed broccoli
- fresh lemon slices
- chopped cilantro 
- parsley
  1. Cook the onion in the oil hot oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, until just starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add carrots, celery, potato, garlic and ginger. Stir to combine and cover and let the vegetables sweat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent.
  3. Add the spices and mix in, cooking for about a minute.
  4. Add the lentils, rice, broth, and bay leaf and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Add the zucchini and summer squash and cover to cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the lentils start to fall apart and the veg is just tender.
  6. Stir in the spinach.
  7. Turn off the heat. Taste and season with salt, as needed.
  8. Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment