There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, June 16, 2023

Lentil Wheat Berry Kale Soup - Test 1


1 - Already screwed up this first try. Forgot to cook the garlic and just added it after I'd put in the water.
2 - This is a pretty good soup! I didn't have parmesan rind (what?!?) and it was still good. I reduced the amount of broth because I tend to like my soups heartier, but it could easily be brothier, so I'm going to make it a range. NOTE that I was cooking the wheat berries in 2 cups of the broth while doing the rest. This may generally be a good habit to save on time - I could skip 20 mins!
3 - This was good, again, and the broth was somehow thicker. The only things I can think of that was different was 1) the wheat berries were already cooked, perhaps they released more of their starches AND/OR 2) I used chard leaves exclusively, although I never thought of chard as a means to thicken things. But I think I can safely graduate this recipe to Test 1.
4 - I tried it with a specialty red hulled rice and chard instead of kale, and it was delicious. I think I'd like the instructions to change to indicate your grain of choice, and your greens of choice. I will try it with cabbage (is cabbage considered a leafy green?).

6 servings
Prep time: 2hrs

3/4 cup wheat berries, spelt, barley, or short grain brown rice (do not use pearled grains)
½ cup olive oil
1 large (10oz/285g) onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots (6oz/170g) , coarsely chopped
1 + 1 ½ tsp salt, to taste
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp. coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
1 tsp. ground turmeric
2 dried bay leaves
10 + 2 + 6 to 8 cups water Veg broth
¾ cup French lentils
(800gr leaves only) 2 bunches (2lbs) kale or chard, stems and ribs removed, leaves torn into 2" pieces
Finely grated Parmesan and toasted crusty bread (for serving)
OPTIONAL: serve with lemon juice or lime
  1. Soak the kernels of grain overnight in 2 cups of water. Using the soaking water, cook for at least 1 hour or until the kernels start to open up.
  2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium, then add the carrots and the onion.
  3. Season with 1 tsp. salt and all the pepper. 
  4. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to sweat, about 3 minutes. 
  5. Reduce heat to medium-low, add the garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are completely tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
  6. Add the wheat berries, coriander, turmeric, and bay leaves and stir to combine. 
  7. Add the broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. 
  8. Add lentils and kale and stir well to combine. Kale should be submerged; add another cup of water if needed. 
  9. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils and grains are tender, 40 to 45 minutes more. Pluck out bay leaves. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
  10. Serve with Parmesan for sprinkling over and bread for dunking.

No comments:

Post a Comment