There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, July 7, 2023

Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing - Test 1


1 - I made this for my birthday cake. I generally avoid cream cheese, I think because I have a bias against it as 'trashy' food. I don't know why. It's silly. Especially because in this recipe it adds a tanginess and a lightness that is very pleasing. I made it for my birthday cake this year (2023). I combined my old recipe with a cream cheese-based recipe.
2 - Made it for another birthday cake with the same cake recipe. Here, cream cheese is sold in 8oz packs. I only bought one not realizing that the recipe required 12oz. I thought I'd try to use the 8oz and balance it out by increasing the butter by the missing 4oz of cream cheese. It seems to be just as good. I'm sort of miffed at the original recipe that it would require more than a single package and less than the total of 2 packages (I realize that sometimes packages change size over time or are even different depending on region). In terms of household frugality, I try to make everything myself, but I'm not yet able to make my own cheese. If I have to buy it, then I want to be respectful of what's available.

8 oz  cream cheese, room temperature
8oz butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
⅔ cup (55g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
OPTIONAL: 1–2 Tbsps milk or heavy cream
  1. Beat cream cheese and butter until completely smooth, light and creamy.
  2. Blend in vanilla until very smooth.
  3. Gradually add the cocoa and icing sugar.
  4. Beat on high until smooth. If it's too stiff, add dairy one Tbsp at a time until desired consistency is achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment