There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, July 2, 2023

Surbraten (Corned Pork) - Untested


Serves 4

2½ lbs (1 kg), pork
2 onions, finely chopped
10 juniper berries, crushed
1 large garlic cloves, chopped
For the brine
4¼ cups (1L) water
2 Tbsps salt (or to taste)
Optional, as much salt peter as fits on the tip of a knife
  1. Rub the meat with the chopped onion, garlic and juniper berries, then push into a [tight-fitting] container and pour the cold brine (that has previously been brought to a boil and then let cool again), with or without saltpeter, over the meat.
  2. Press down with a board and weight it with a rock.
  3. The meat has to remain in the brine for three weeks, during which time it must be turned frequently.
  4. At the end of the three weeks, remove the meat from the crock, briefly rinse it off.
  5. Roast at 390 degrees F in hot lard, along with the chopped onion, garlic and yellow turnip, until crispy, about 1½ hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment