There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Asian Fried Cabbage - Test 1


1 - Very good! I'm not sure how often I'll make it given that many of the ingredients I consider 'exotic', unless someone else figures out how to make them local to me with local to me ingredients. But one of the benefits of having so many longer-term visitors is that they bring food and ingredients with them that they often leave behind! :)
2 - Again, very good. Eating it cold is also good. I was thinking that it would pair very easily with plain old NOODLES for a main dish.

1/2 small head cabbage , yield about 1 lbs / 450 g, quartered, cored and cut crosswise into ⅛-inch shreds
1 carrot, grated
Sauce
2 Tbsps. water
2 Tbsps. rice vinegar
2 Tbsps. soy sauce
2 tsps. sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
Stir-fry
1 ½ Tbsps. peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
½ tsp Sichuan peppercorns (or mix coriander seed and black pepper)
2 to 3 dried chili peppers
2 cloves garlic , minced
½ tsp sesame oil
  1. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix well.
  2. Add peanut oil and Sichuan peppercorns into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook until the Sichuan peppercorns turn dark but not burned. Scoop out the peppers into a small bowl, then discard them.
  3. Add the chili peppers and garlic. Stir a few times to release the fragrance.
  4. Add cabbage. Stir and cook until the leaves just start to turn tender.
  5. Stir the sauce again to dissolve the cornstarch thoroughly, pour into the pan. Continue to stir and cook until the cabbage turns tender but still crispy, and the sauce has thickened.
  6. Turn off heat. Carefully taste the cabbage and adjust seasoning by adding more salt, if necessary. Drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and stir to mix again. Transfer everything to a serving plate.
  7. Serve hot as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment