There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Miso Glazed Pork Tenderloin - Testing


4 servings

1 - This turned out quite nicely. I don't know how often I'll have these ingredients - I only have them now because someone left them here - but it was a lovely way to use them. In terms of the recipe, I need to learn how long to cook. I changed the internal temp to 145 and it was still a bit overdone. Not overly, but enough to notice.
2 - I was much more careful about temperature and it paid off. However, I brined the tenderloin before cooking to get it to thaw quickly, and it made the whole dish unpleasantly salty. DO NOT BRINE THE TENDERLOIN!!! I also did something a bit different, to reheat and put the sauce in the roasting pan and used it to deglaze the browned stuff. The jury is inconclusive on this innovation. Oh, and for some bizarre reason I put in pepper flakes. I don't know why since they aren't in the recipe!

4 Tbsps. miso paste
2 Tbsps. liquid honey
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp rice vinegar
½ tsp sesame oil
¾ cup water
2 tsps. vegetable oil
1 lb. pork tenderloin trimmed
1 pinch pepper
  1. In small saucepan, bring miso paste, honey, garlic, vinegar, sesame oil and ¾ cup water to boil; reduce heat and simmer until reduced to ⅓ cup, about 8 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in large ovenproof skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with pepper; using the popcorn trick to get the right temperature, sear until browned all over, about 7 minutes.
  3. Remove 1 Tbsp of the miso mixture and brush over pork, reserving remainder. 
  4. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven until juices run clear when pork is pierced and just a hint of pink remains inside, about 20 to 25 minutes, or until internal temperature is 145°F
  5. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve drizzled with reheated remaining miso mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment