There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Quick Fresh Mozzarella - Untested


NOTE that this is not a cultured mozzarella, which is more authentic and flavorful, but is a good place to start. A cultured mozzarella does not use citric acid but a thermophilic culture instead and is a longer process.

1 US gallon (3.8 L) whole milk (not ultra-pasteurized)
1½ tsp citric acid, dissolved in ¼ cup (60 mL) cool water
¼ tsp liquid rennet, dissolved in ¼ cup (60 mL) cool, non-chlorinated water
1–2 tsp cheese salt

Making the curds
  1. Pour the milk into a large pot and stir in the dissolved citric acid.
  2. Slowly heat to 32°C (90°F), stirring gently.
  3. Remove from the heat and stir in the dissolved rennet using an up-and-down motion for about 30 seconds.
  4. Stop stirring and let the milk sit undisturbed for 5–10 minutes, until you have a clean break.
  5. Cut the curd into roughly 2 cm (¾") cubes.
  6. Slowly heat the curds and whey to 40°C (105°F), stirring very gently.
  7. Remove from the heat and let the curds rest for about 5 minutes.
  8. Scoop the curds into a colander and allow them to drain.

Stretching
  1. Heat a separate pot of water (or, even better, the strained whey) to about 77–82°C (170–180°F).
  2. Place the drained curds in a bowl and:
  3. Pour enough hot whey over them to cover.
  4. Let them sit for 20–30 seconds.
  5. Lift the curd with a spoon or your hands (wear gloves if needed—it will be hot).
  6. Fold and stretch it gently.
  7. If it begins to stiffen, dip it back into the hot whey for another 20–30 seconds.
  8. Repeat until the curd becomes smooth, glossy, and stretches into long ribbons.
  9. Knead in the salt during the last stretch.
  10. Form into balls and cool in cold water for 10–15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment