There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Slow Cooker Bone Broth - Untested


1 lb-2 lbs bones (chicken feet/necks or beef bones knuckles, bones with a lot of cartilage)
4 cloves garlic
32 cups water (or just enough to cover the bones)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
other of choice vegetables (optional, can make it bitter )
other herbs (optional)

  1. Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker overnight or longer and set to low (8-24 hours).
  2. In the morning, strain the broth and refrigerate in separate containers.
  3. Once it's chilled remove the fat and save it for other uses.
Notes:
  • If the broth doesn’t gel or come out to your liking, try again. It usually doesn’t gel due to too much water in proportion to bones. Best to just use enough water to just cover the bones. 
  • You can use bones saved from making wings, steaks on the bone, and whole chickens. There's a lot of variance depending on type of animal and type of bone. 
  • Best to use bones with a lot of cartilage, like any bones with lots of joints. Chicken feet, chicken wings, chicken drumsticks, chicken backs, beef knuckles are great bone options.
  • Bone broth from chicken bones is easiest as bone broth from beef and pork broth are very pungent when cooking, so for the comfort of others in your home, chicken may be the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment