There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 25, 2019

Winter Pork Loin Roast - Test 1

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooked-pork-with-root-vegetables/
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-smothered-pork-chops/f147fa1d-5292-4679-937a-7c87ca1c5010
https://prepdish.com/one-pot-roasted-pork-with-apples-rutabaga/
https://www.wpr.org/slow-cooker-pork-chops-root-vegetables

1 - I made this once before and, well, since I'm making it again, I must have liked it!
2 - The rutabaga was well balanced by the pork. It lended its sweetness to the meat and the meat was very tender. I end up checking with a meat thermometre about 6 hours in since the roasts I get are different sized and can cook differently. Since the meat is rather bland, I think, next time, I'll take the time to strain off the liquid and reduce it into a sauce. The original recipe recommends thickening it with a starch, but I prefer to reduce - it's the intensity of the flavour I want, not just an unctuous sauce.
3 - Again, very good. I left it for the full 8 hours and it was too much - the loin roast was very, very, very tender! I couldn't cut it because it just pulled apart. I would prefer if it was a little less pulled-pork-like. Also, I didn't do the cornstarch bit, so I just removed it. I also didn't do the apple cider vinegar which I think I ought to do. Lastly, I had all these leftover veg and found a recipe for leftover pot-roast-like veg and made a soup, which tasted a whole lot like French onion soup! So I've added a note and a link to an experimental recipe.
4 - Another overall homerun but still way off on the timing! Way too long, and I had a 3lb roast in!
5 - We have an inordinate amount of pork chops this year. Since I prefer roasts, I decided to tie 4 chops together and braise them as I would a roast and, in the slow cooker, it worked just fine. The cooking time, however, continues to be more than is needed. This time, the cooking time will be my focus. I will put it in for a 7pm meal, at 1pm, and check the internal temperature at 5pm, which I suspect will be plenty.
6 - OMG! I found a lovage plant on the property and added only 4 leaves to the recipe and it was truly amazing! It rounded the flavors so well, I can't believe it. I also omitted the bacon and used lard - I was concerned that this missing flavor would diminish the experience of eating the dish, but with the lovage, no problem! I again tied pork chops together to very good effect. I cooked it on High and it was way past done in 5 hours, and only afterwards noticed I was supposed to cook it on Low...

4 slices bacon, cut into lardons
OR 1 Tbsp lard
1 popcorn kernel
1 1/2 to 2 lb pork loin roast, bone in
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 large onion, cut into large slices
1/2  cup 1 large carrot (4 oz?), sliced
1 1/3 cups 8 oz root vegetables (to taste or availability: parsnip, rutabaga, and/or turnip slices)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
4 lovage leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  1. NOTE: Pork needs browning and veg need to be sautéed, so figure that into your slow-cooker plans. It's at least a half-hour or more.
  2.  Pat pork dry with a towel; season all over with pepper and salt.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned and rendered. Transfer the bacon to the slow cooker.
  4. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp of bacon fat in the pan. Increase heat to medium-high and add the popcorn kernel. When it pops, remove it and brown the pork roast on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned - the popcorn popping indicates the temperature is correct for searing. Transfer to the slow cooker, bone side down. If the veg cover the roast, gently lift the meat and allow some of the veg to settle underneath. The veg should be, at the most, level with the top of the meat but preferably slightly lower.
  5. Add the onions to the skillet and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the carrots and root vegetables, along with a splash of the chicken broth and cover to steam about 10 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker, tucking around the roast. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours (SEE NOTE 5) or until a meat thermometer reads 145°F in the center.
  6. Remove the roast and cover with foil to keep warm. Remove the bay leaves and discard. With a slotted spoon remove the veg, set aside and keep warm.
  7. Pour the cooking liquid into a wide pot and reduce by 1/4. Add the apple cider vinegar and cook a minute more.
  8. Ladle the sauce over the roast and serve immediately.
LEFTOVER VEG - If you have leftover veg, here's a recipe for a soup to use them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment