There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Leftover Roast Vegetables Soup - Testing

NOTE: recipe is per cup of leftover veg and is designed to be easily multiplied.

1 (2020-03-28) - This may be a challenging recipe to write out. I made it again, and it was very good, but had to make all sorts of changes. There wasn't enough veg, and there didn't seem to be enough liquid, so I added another 1/2 cup. And I had leftover cooked barley, and I added some nettle tops. So, the QUESTION is; are the ratios below wrong, or was it because I didn't have the quantities I needed. AND is there a way of writing this that would give instructions easy to follow while being flexible enough to work with the materials at hand to make the soup?

1 cup leftover veg, drained
2/3 cup liquid (add water to whatever roasting liquid you were able to save to get this amount)
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup bread (stale, cubed)
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup grated Gruyère cheese
  1. Dump the veg in a soup pot and mash thoroughly (blending it will change the consistency)
  2. Add the liquid and stir to combine.
  3. Heat and adjust the seasoning.
  4. To make croutons, over medium heat melt the butter in a small pan and allow it to heat up completely so that when a cubes of bread are put in, it will quietly sizzle.
  5. Add the bread cubes and fry, stirring constantly so they brown evenly, about 30 seconds to 1 minutes. 
  6. Beware, they burn easily!
  7. Sprinkle croutons on top, then sprinkle cheese on top of croutons; broil until melted and golden-brown, about 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment