There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 6, 2020

Untested - Curried Kabocha Squash Soup

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curried-kabocha-squash-soup
3 Tbsps olive oil
2 large shallots, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Salt
One 4-pound kabocha squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 Tbsp hot curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 quart chicken stock
3 Tbsps lemon juice
2 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

  1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chopped shallots, sliced garlic and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the shallots are just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the squash cubes, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and 3 cups of water and bring the soup to a boil; reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.   
  2. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan. Add the heavy cream and Asian fish sauce and stir over moderately low heat until it is hot, about 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt. Ladle the squash soup into bowls, garnish with the chopped cilantro and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment