There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Skillet Cheese Biscuits - PUBLISHED

3 - This is an offshoot of the Skillet Scones, but savory. I haven't recorded the amount of cheese I use, so I've put in an approximation. I have made this variation many times and they always work. The challenge seems to be getting the timing right to avoid burning the bottom! I've reduced the time from 7 minutes to 5, although it's likely that because the timing is so short that it depends on the individual stove being used.

1 2/3 cup flour
2 Tbsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter cut into cubes
1 egg
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk or yogurt
1 cup grated Parmesan
  1. Mix together dry ingredients
  2. Add the butter pieces and pinch with your fingers to create a crumb texture. The secret is to have small globules of butter throughout the dough; really cold (but not frozen) butter helps with this.
  3. Make a well in the middle and crack in the egg - lightly whisk the egg in the well, add the milk and finally mix everything with a wooden spoon just until combined.
  4. Liberally butter an 8-10" cast-iron pan. Spread the dough over the bottom. Make cuts in the raw dough to form 8 wedges (tricky 'cause the dough is sticky). Turn on the heat to medium and cover. After 5 minutes check to see if the dough is cooked enough to move in the pan. If it does, gently lift to see if it has browned enough underneath and if not, leave until it turns nicely golden. Flip and cook another 5 minutes.
  5. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool, at least long enough to handle, then break apart along the cut lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment