There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Shakshuka with kabocha squash - Test 1

https://ahouseinthehills.com/2016/02/18/kabocha_squash_shakshuka/

1 - Maybe the squash cubed smaller so I changed it from 1" to 1/2".

1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
1 pinch salt
1/2 green bell pepper, diced fine
1 lrg jalapeno, seeded and minced 1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups of kabocha squash, peel on, chopped into 1/2" pieces
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
pinch saffron (about 20 threads)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
7 6 eggs
rough chopped parsley to garnish
pepper, to taste

  1. Add oil to a heavy bottomed pan with the onion and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until onions are soft and translucent.
  2. Add green pepper and jalapeno  pepper flakes and cook for a couple minutes, until fragrant. Add kabocha squash, garlic, paprika, cumin and saffron. Mix well and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
  3. Add tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until kabocha squash is softened but still holding their shape.
  4. One by one, crack the eggs into a bowl and gently place on top of the simmering tomatoes, without touching, until all the eggs are in.
  5. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the egg whites have set and the yolks are still soft.
  6. Garnish with parsley and pepper when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment