There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, January 31, 2020

Squash Pasta with Ricotta - Testing

https://www.nospoonnecessary.com/butternut-squash-pasta-with-ricotta-sage-brown-butter/

1 - This turned out really nicely, but cold. I also substituted the walnuts for pine nuts and I didn't have sage, fresh or dried, so there was none in there. Oh, and I left the caramelized garlic in. I'm that coarse.

12 oz pasta
½ cup butter, DIVIDED
2lbs butternut squash peeled, 1’’cubes
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
Pinch cayenne
2 cloves garlic, minced
8-12 large sage leaves (optional)
1 cup Ricotta (optional: whip ricotta in a food processor until smooth) (try with Yogurt Cheese
½ cup toasted pine nuts OR coarsely chopped walnuts
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated, plus more for garnish
  1. There are three parts to preparing this dish. Try to have them all cook at the same time - if one part is made too soon, it means the dish will likely have cooled too much by the time it's served.
  2. A. Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Let pasta cool for 3 mins.
  3. B. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook the squash in 2 Tbsps of the butter over medium-high heat. Add ginger, nutmeg, cumin, cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally at first and then more often as the squash browns, until the squash is browned and tender, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer the squash to a clean plate and set aside.
  4. C. Make the brown butter sauce in the same skillet, add the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter. Add the smashed garlic and melt the butter, swirling pan until butter turns light brown, about 2 minutes. Add sage leaves and fry until crispy, about 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon and transfer the sage leaves to paper towels to drain. Discard the garlic.
  5. Finishing the dish: Reduce heat to medium-low. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking liquid to the browned butter until combined. Remove the pan from heat and add the pasta. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss until the pasta is well coated. Add the parmesan cheese and toss well to combine. Add the butternut squash and very gently toss to combine. Add more cooking liquid to create a light, silky sauce if pasta looks dry. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
  6. Serve warm: Divide the pasta between serving plates. Top with a dollop of ricotta, walnuts, crispy sage leaves and more parmesan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment