There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Test 2 - Pork chops in White Wine Sauce

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/pork-chops-in-creamy-champagne-sauce-with-rustic-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe-1906594

1 - First attempt was very good, made with champagne. Ben always wants more sauce, but I think this is a good amount.
2 - No request for more sauce this time, but another "A" grade using white wine instead of champagne. The one addition to the recipe is how to establish the done-ness of the chop without the instant-read thermometer.
3 - The thickness of the chop is definitely a factor. I had very thick chops and it took much, much longer to get them to a safe temperature of 145F.

2 Tbsp lard or vegetable oil
1 popcorn kernel
4 x 1" thick pork chops (about 5 ounces each)
1 onion
1 Tbsp dried thyme
Optional - 1 tsp dried tarragon
2 cups dry white wine or dry Champagne
2 Tbsp flour
2 cup light cream

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet and put the popcorn kernel in. 
  2. Season the meat with salt pepper.
  3. When the popcorn kernel pops,  remove it and add the meat to the hot pan. Cook 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside. 
  4. To the same pan, add the onion and cook until soft. 
  5. Add the thyme and cook until fragrant. 
  6. Add the wine and cook one more minute. 
  7. Meanwhile, whisk the flour into the cream and pour into the pan, whisking everything together.
  8. Return the pork to the pan and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the pork is cooked through and internal temperature is 145F and the sauce thickens.
  9. Allow to rest for at least 3 minutes before serving to allow the juices to even out in the chop.
  10. Goes very well with mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment