There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Mock Goose (beef heart) - Testing

Dorothy Hartley pg. 80-1

"To make this tough meat tender, it takes a couple of days and very slow cooking, so prepare well in advance."

0 - I would like to Frankenstein this recipe with modern versions and eventually with a French flair.

1 beef heart
2 tsps salt
2 whole onions, peeled and trimmed
1 bay leaf
7 peppercorns
1 Tbsp wine vinegar
Beef fat from the braising
? breadcrumbs
? 1 Tbsp sage
? salt and pepper
? broth
Flour
Bacon
Sausages
Potatoes
Apple sauce

Two to three days before cooking wash the heart well and remove the arteries if it hasn’t been done by your butcher. Dilute the salt in a bowl of water and submerge the heart. Let it soak for at least a half hour.
In a pot, place the heart along with the onions, a bay leaf and the peppercorns, cover with water and add the wine vinegar. Over very low heat (a slow cooker on low for example), cover and cook slowly overnight for at least 24 hours (this does not have to be consecutive; you can let it cool and cook it again the same way the following night).
After the last night of cooking, allow it to cool completely in its broth.
Mix together breadcrumbs, fat, sage, salt and pepper and stuff the heart. Sew it up to seal it.
Dredge heavily in flour. Lay in a roasting pan with bacon draped over it. Arrange the potatoes around (and maybe the sausages?).
Roast in a ?? oven for ??.
Serve with apple sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment