There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, June 15, 2020

Nutella - Testing

https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/homemade-nutella-chocolate-hazelnut-spread/
https://leitesculinaria.com/78672/recipes-homemade-nutella.html
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236553/chocolate-spread/

1 - I tried the Leites Culinaria recipe with melted chocolate chips and it turned into a solid block! Tasty, and it melted readily when chipped out of the container and put on hot toast, but really hard to get out of the pot. Next time it will be from Crunchy Creamy Sweet with cocoa powder.
2 - The cocoa powder version works so much better. 

8 oz. hazelnuts (I'm using hazelnut butter)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp mild vegetable oil canola or coconut; I used melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
(Optional) 1/4 cup chopped chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips 
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Place hazelnuts on the sheet. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes. Watch them after the 10th minute if they are not browning too fast.
  2. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a clean kitchen towel. Let cool until safe to the touch.
  3. When cooled, gently rub the nuts with the towel until the skin comes off.
  4. Place nuts in food processor and process until finely ground. Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl as needed.
  5. Process nuts until the start to liquify. It can take about 5 minutes. Stop the food processor as needed to scrape the sides of the bowl.
  6. In a mixer on the slow setting, start mixing the hazelnut butter. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix until well combined.
  7. With the food processor running, Turn up the speed and drizzle in the oil and vanilla. Process until smooth.
  8. Add the salt and process for 5 seconds.
  9. (Optional - do the above in a food processor and add I added the chocolate chips are this point and processed until it all comes together. You may need to add more oil if the mixture clumps up.)
  10. Scrape the spread into a clean jar. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
  11. If using coconut oil, you may need to let the spread sit on the counter to soften before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment