There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, June 8, 2020

Pouding Chaude au Fudge (Hot Fudge Pudding) - PUBLISHED

A recipe from my maternal grandmother!

1 - What a very strange recipe, but it worked out really well! I was full of trepidation about pour the hot sweet cocoa mix on top before putting it in the oven, but it worked, and created this very odd floating pudding. The sauce thickened and went to the bottom, and the batter fluffed and baked on top, while creating a kind of custard underneath. It's excellent served right out of the oven, but is perfectly good once it has cooled down. It would be fun to try spicing it, too.
2 - Made it again, and it's really good! I still think it's a weird recipe though, and because of that I'm also kinda proud that it came from my Grand'Maman.
3 - We are now able to have people at the farm thanks to the gradual relaxing of the Covid-19 protocols. I served this to 4 people and no recommended changes were offered. On to the final test!

POUDING CHAUDE AU FUDGE

1 cup sifted flour 133g
½ tsp baking soda 2g
Pinch of salt 2g
¾ cup sugar 152g
2 Tbsps cocoa 11g
Milk (see instruction #3)
2 Tbsps white vinegar 
2 Tbsps melted butter
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsps cocoa
OPTIONAL 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1¾ cups boiling water
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa. Make a well in the center.
  3. In a half-cup measure, put in 2 Tbsps of white vinegar and fill to the 1/2 cup mark with milk. Add to the well.
  4. Add the melted butter, along with the nuts. 
  5. Mix well and place in a greased, square baking dish. Set aside.
  6. In a separate bowl combine the brown sugar and extra cocoa (and optional cinnamon). Whisk in the boiling water.
  7. Pour the sauce over the batter and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
  8. Serve immediately while hot with plenty of sauce on top.

POUDING CHAUDE AU FUDGE
1 tasse de farine tamisée
½ c. à thé soda
Pincée de sel
¾ tasse de sucre
2 c. à table cocoa
Mettre le tout dans un bol. Ajoutez 2 c. à table de vinaigre plus assez de lait pour en faire ½ tasse. Mettez-y 2 c. à soupe de beurre fondu ou margarine et 1 tasse de noix hachés.  Brassez bien et mettez dans une casserole carrée. Combinez 1 tasse sucre brun, 4 c. à table de cocoa et brassez avec 1¾ tasse d’eau bouillante. Mettez sur le pouding et cuire à 350 F. environ 45 minutes. Coupez en carrés et servir chaude avec la sauce sur le dessus.
Recette de Marie-Thérèse (Lambert) Noël de Tilly  -   (1899 - 1962)

No comments:

Post a Comment