There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 16, 2023

Far breton aux pruneaux - testing


1 - The recipe asked to first mix in the butter in the flour and it just made it all lumpy! I changed the recipe to include the liquid before adding the eggs. This did not turn out well at all. By the time the batter started to bake, the buckwheat separated from the custard. I'm calling this a fail. I will try again with regular wheat flour.

220 g flour, + more for dusting
130 g white sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/8 cups of milk 3/4 de litre de lait
20 g butter
500 g prunes
  1. Soak the prunes in warm water while preparing the batter.
  2. Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg thoroughly then the vanilla and milk.
  4. Add the liquid to the dry and gently combine until it becomes a uniform batter.
  5. Allow to rest up to 4 hours (this was for the buckwheat, but I'm thinking of the Jacques and the difference in texture it creates).
  6. Before baking, preheat the oven to 350F.
  7. Grease a square pan (? or gratin dish or lasagna dish?).
  8. Drain the prunes, briefly dry then cover with flour (this is supposed to help them float instead of sink while baking. Testing this little theory - the original source does not soak the prunes, so that might negate the effect.)
  9. (OR, only pour in part of the batter, bake for 10 minutes, then add the prunes and cover with the remaining batter).
  10. Bake for about an hour, total.

No comments:

Post a Comment