There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 30, 2023

Leftover Porridge Cake - Testing


1 - The first attempt at this one was spectacular. The cake is incredibly moist, verging on pudding, and the icing lends itself beautifully. If I don't have leftovers that are Ayurvedic porridge, then the original recipe asks for 1 tsp cinnamon. Although why be so plain? I could also try using 1 tsp of the Poudre Douce spice mix instead.
2 - I have made this so many times now that I'm just going to publish it. One challenge remains in the caramel icing, to get it to the right consistency before pour it out over the cake so that it doesn't just flow off. The other challenge is getting people to keep their hands off it so that it can rest for a couple days before eating it, given that it clearly improves with age.
3 - The cake is perfectly delectable and has been published. But now, I return my attention to the icing. It is very liquid and difficult to spread. I've halved the amount of butter and milk in my first go, and it started to thicken quite quickly, making it hold on the cake better, but I treated it like the old recipe and put it in the refrigerator which was overkill and I couldn't spread it quickly enough!

1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups cooked Ayurvedic Porridge
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar. 
  3. Mix in the eggs and oatmeal. 
  4. In sequence, add the baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour.
  5. Pour into a greased and floured spring form pan.
  6. Bake for 55 minutes or until it tests done.
  7. Once baked, allow it to cool completely, and preferably let it sit for a full day before removing it from the mold and applying the icing.
For the Icing:

¾ ½ cup butter 
1 cup packed brown sugar 
½ ¼ cup milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
  1. Melt the butter and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the brown sugar to the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter and sugar are completely combined and you can’t see any separated butter in the mixture, which takes at least 1 minute.
  3. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
  4. Add the milk and vanilla (careful, the hot sugar mixture will bubble and spit for the first few seconds). Bring back to a boil over medium heat and continue cooking, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
  5. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. The longer it cools, the thicker it becomes. If it's too hot, it will be too liquid and just pour right off the cake, but completely cold and it will be difficult to apply. Be patient and wait. When it’s at your desired consistency, drizzle over the cooled cake. allow to cool a bit before applying to the cake. Spread quickly as it will set as it looses heat to the cooler cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment