There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Untested - Chocolate Atole

We're thinking of growing amaranth. However, other than making porridge with the seeds, I don't know what to make with it, and I don't want to just use it as a wheat flour substitute. I've started to research traditional uses. I'll not write the whole history here, but it was cultivated at least by the Aztecs. Therefore, I've started to search for recipes from the Morelos, Puebla, Tlaxcala, and Oaxaca provinces of Mexico. The first thing I was attracted to was the drink Atole, which can be prepared, apparently, in myriad fashions. Here's an initial interpretation with (of course) chocolate, apparently the food that was for Aztec Royalty. Seems appropriate that I should make it. :)

https://books.google.ca/books?id=SK2YCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=atole+recipe+amaranth+chia&source=bl&ots=r2oMvQIPQh&sig=16c1gzDl7sWOXKyCkKVxqEJA4I0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCmrj4m9_JAhUHuBoKHXGfBRgQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=atole%20recipe%20amaranth%20chia&f=false
http://www.versagrain.com/amaranth-atole-recipe.html


4 cups milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup amaranth flour
3-4 Tbsps brown sugar
pinch salt
2-3" cinnamon stick
3.5 oz 70% dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Optional
2 cloves
a pinch of chipotle chilli powder

  1. The amaranth flour will clump quite readily, so add the liquid very slowly and whisk vigorously between each addition.
  2. In a bain-marie (double boiler) heat the mixture, stirring often, until it just starts to thicken.
  3. Add the chocolate, sugar and spices and continue stirring until it just starts to boil and all the ingredients are melted.
  4. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves before serving in mugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment