There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 25, 2015

Testing - Pumpkin and Chèvre Pithivier

http://food.ninemsn.com.au/recipes/ipumpkin/8347792/roasted-pumpkin-goats-cheese-pithivier

1 - I made this as a vegetarian alternative at Christmas. I may have been rushing a bit, trying a new recipe and all - I didn't mash the pumpking, and the chunks were distracting when eating. It was good with the chèvre, but I forgot to season and I think I forgot the thyme!

1lb 4 oz pumpkin, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
salt and pepper
1 recipe for a savory pie crust
4 oz soft goat's cheese
1 beaten egg

  1. Preheat the oven to 375F. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly space the pumpkin cubes on it. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Turn the pieces occasionally to avoid burning. Bake the pumpkin for about an hour, or until cooked and starting to brown. Allow it to cool and mash.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 1/4" thick. Cut it in half and set the second half aside. 
  5. Fold the half you've kept to work on twice over so that you have a wedge with four layers of dough. Roll this out into an circle approximation of a circle and cut away bits to make a perfect circle wide enough to cover the base of a pie plate and is about 1/4" thick. Incorporate the leftovers into the reRoll out the rest of the dough in the same way in preparation.
  6. Spoon the cooled roasted pumpkin into the centre of circle of dough, leaving about 3/4 to 1 inch all around. 
  7. Crumble to chèvre on top. 
  8. Go around a second time and properly pinch the edges to make sure they're sealed and uniform (as much for the practicality as for the aesthetics).
  9. Brush with the remaining beaten egg and set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking.
  10. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment