There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Chocolate Beef Stew (Spezzatino di manzo al cioccolato) - Test 1

http://www.gingerandtomato.com/ricette-carne/spezzatino-manzo-cioccolato-rinnovare-piatto-classico/
https://www.edamam.com/recipe/spezzatino-di-manzo-al-cioccolato-beef-stew-with-chocolate-c0044ab4445865c65d2c4969d629c422/
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/david-rocco/spezzatino-di-manzo-al-cioccolato-beef-stew-with-chocolate.html
https://www.saporie.com/it-it/spezzatino-di-manzo-e-cioccolato.aspx

My first foray into Italian cookery (thank you Google Translate!).  The original recipe calls for 2 glasses of brandy, which I've translated into 2 fl. oz. I'll also have to document how much sage and thyme I use, as well as salt, and maybe a ballpark idea for the stock? And what kind of stock?

1 - Super positive reaction. Forgot to record the salt quantity. I think 1 tsp? I thought it would be oversalted, Ben liked it.
2 - I altered the ingredients a bit and recorded it.
3 - This went well. Actually, apparently. I made it with mashed potatoes again, and Ben really enjoyed it, but I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't have any!

3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
4 oz diced bacon (about 4 slices)
2 Tbsps flour
1 lb stewing beef cut into 1" chunks
2 fl. oz. sherry or apera
2 sprigs sage
2 sprigs thyme
Beef stock, enough to just cover the meat (depends on size of pan)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 4 oz dark chocolate
  1. Brown the bacon in the oil.
  2. Flour the pieces of meat and cook in batches to brown on both sides (if you put it all in the cubes will be crowded and steam instead of brown).
  3. Add the brandy and let it evaporate. Add salt, pepper and herbs.
  4. Add the broth, so that the meat is covered, and cook over low heat until the meat is cooked about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  5. When cooked, chop the chocolate and sprinkle it into the pot. Let it melt over low heat, another 10 - 15 minutes
  6. Stir well to blend the chocolate into the sauce and serve warm. Goes very well with mashed potatoes.
  7. NOTE: Excellent with mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment