There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Test 1 - Simplified Cornmeal Muffin

This is in response to another recipe I tried: Cornmeal Muffins . I thought I'd completely screwed up because I hadn't read the recipe, but the muffins turned out great. The only thing is that they weren't perfectly domed; the tops tilt to one side. Otherwise, the coarse cornmeal was very nicely textured etc.

1 - Good again, but not pretty. One reason may be because my local grocery store only had blue cornmeal which made the muffins look blah. But the tops weren't nicely rounded, although the texture was still quite lovely. I will try to add a 1/2 cup of cornmeal to see what that would do.

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 to 5 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 milk
1 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs
  1. Melt the butter and allow to cool a bit. The time it takes to do the next steps should be plenty.
  2. Heat oven to 425°F.
  3. Grease a standard muffin tin.
  4. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  5. In the pot with the hot butter, whisk in the milk and buttermilk, putting the pot back on the heat if the butter starts to coagulate, but only long enough to get the butter to liquefy. Then whisk in the eggs.
  6. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix just until combined.
  7. Divide the batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; it will completely fill the cups.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry. Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove them from the tin and let cool 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment