There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Italian Sausage and duPuy Lentils - Published

1 - Ok, this first try didn't work for me. However, I did use the leftover lentils and had them with eggs the next day! :) The big stumbling point is the sausage. It was fine, but not WoW!
Part of the problem is that Italian sausages shouldn't be boiled, they should be grilled. Hmmm. Ok, I'll try this again, but will grill instead. Before gilling I'll parboil the sausage in the lentils to capture any flavour that otherwise might be lost.
The other problem is the quantity of liquid for cooking the lentils - I simmered the lentils, but it didn't absorb all the liquid, or it didn't evaporate enough. There was a good 2 cups left over! I think the pot I used was too small, not providing enough surface area for a good rate of evaporation, with the caveat that I'll have to keep on eye on the liquid level to make sure it doesn't go dry, either!
2 - Success! Stepping away from this recipe helped get it in perspective, I think.
3 - I'm putting back in the oregano as an option, and I'm trying fresh parsley. Ben likes it just fine, but I felt it was too heavy, so a little green will lighten it up. I could also add some leafy greens, but I'll start with parsley.
4 - Added parsley to very good effect. I wonder if it can stand up to kale?
5 - OK, I think this is it. I've changed this again, keeping the sausage whole and only cutting it after it's cooked makes sense because the juices stay inside. And a few other changes in sequencing and timing. Haven't tried the kale, but enjoyed a bit more parsley.
6 - This is a lovely, comforting dish. I can try kale at some point if I want to, but just with the parsley it's quite nice. Very hearty.

1 lb 1 cup Puy lentils
6 3 cups chicken stock
1 small onion, peeled and cut in half (use the part of the onion with the root basal plate and leave it intact to make it easier to take out the onion afterwards)
1 bunch 2-3 sprigs fresh oregano (or a generous pinch dry marjoram)
1 bay leaf
6 spicy mild Italian sausages
1/3 1⁄2 cup white wine
2 Tbsps butter olive oil
2 1 shallot, minced
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup a few Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper
  1. Put the lentils in a saucepan in a large saucepan (to allow for rapid liquid reduction) with the stock, onion, and oregano or marjoram and bay leaf. Bring to a boil before lowering the temperature to get a simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Continue to simmer the lentils, uncovered, until cooked al dente, 25-35 40-50 another 20 minutes. If there is still a lot of liquid once the lentils are tender, drain it off. Pluck out and discard the aromatics and set aside.
  2.  Melt the butter Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet and prick the skins of the sausages. Brown the sausage on all sides in the oil. Remove from the pan and slice into 1⁄2 inch pieces  set aside. 
  3. Add the shallot to the skillet and cook until translucent. Add the wine and bring it the wine to a simmer scraping up any fond. Continue simmering until the wine and reduces to a 1⁄4 cup has mostly evaporayed add the olive oil. Add the sliced sausages, the parsley and the lentils, simmering until the desired sauciness is achieved, the lentils are tender, and the sausage has cooked through.
  4. Stir in the salt and pepper and serve. with crusty country bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment