There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 17, 2017

Untested - Nettle and Lemon Cake with Lemon Icing and Blackberries

https://veggiedesserts.co.uk/nettle-and-lemon-cake-with-lemon-icing-and-blackberries/

Author: Kate @ Veggie Desserts
Serves: 10
INGREDIENTS
For the Nettle and Lemon Cake:
100g (2 cups, packed) raw young nettle leaves (use the top 4-6 leaves)
200g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
150g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest and juice of ½ lemon
250g (2 cups) plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Buttercream:
150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
300g (2 ½ cups) powdered icing sugar
Zest and juice of ½ a lemon
To finish:
blackberries (optional)
lemon zest (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 170C/325F. Grease and line two 7” round cake tins.
  2. Using rubber gloves, carefully wash the stinging nettle leaves and remove any stems. Place in a pan of boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes. The sting will be removed with the boiling. Refresh under cold water, drain and puree. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the nettles, vanilla, zest and lemon juice.
  4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, push to the edges and level, then bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
  6. For the icing:
  7. In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy. Add in the icing sugar and beat. Beat in the zest and a little of the lemon juice. Add more lemon juice to make it a frosting consistency and beat again. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
  8. To assemble:
  9. Spread a little of the buttercream between the layers of the completely cooled cakes and sandwich together. Cover the cake in the remaining buttercream and decorate with blackberries and lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment