There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 17, 2017

Stinging Nettle Tart - Testing

http://reciperelay.com/seasonal-eating-nettle-goat-cheese-tart/
https://www.quickes.co.uk/blogs/recipes/nettle-bacon-and-smoked-goats-cheese-tart

1 - Interesting but I'm not really attracted to it.

For the tart crust:

2 cups (8.8 oz) whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 Tablespoon chopped chives
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup very cold water
For the filling:

100-125gr lardons
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1/2 cup milk
2 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 Tablespoon chives
4 handfuls nettle (200gr?)
1 garlic clove
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
 1/2 cup sliced or crumbled goat cheese (I used half of a Chabichou)

  1. In a large bowl, combine flour with salt and chives. Add the oil and mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate, then add the water little by little and keep mixing with the spoon and then with your hands until the dough comes together. Shape into a ball, cover with clean film and store in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, rinse and drain the nettle.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for a few minutes, until golden. Add the nettle, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Mix with a wood spoon every now and then, until nettle is tender and cooked, about 4 minutes.
  4. Remove the garlic clove and set aside.
  5. Prepare the filling: in a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the crème fraiche. Add salt, pepper and chives to the egg mixture. Set aside.
  6. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
  7. Take the dough out of the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough using a rolling pin. Give it a round shape and roll it until it is about 3mm thick.
  8. Grease a 10-inch tart pan with some olive oil or butter. Transfer the rolled dough into the pan and press to let the dough adhere to the edges and the corners. Remove any exceding dough.
  9. Fill the shell with the cooked nettle, then pour the egg mixture evenly on the whole surface. Move the pan to spread around. Top with goat cheese slices or crumbles.
  10. Fold the edges of the tart shell toward the center.
  11. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the shell is crisp and the filling settled.
  12. Remove and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment