There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Testing - Rarebit with pear and cambozola

1 - Quite liked it. More pear though.

1 to 1.5 2-3 lbs winter pear, sliced thin
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup dark beer
3 oz Gruyère, grated
1 oz Cambozola, grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
Pinch of salt
Black pepper, to taste (1/4 tsp.)
Crusty country-style bread (Such as the Commons Bread, see below)

  1. Start toasting, until golden brown, some thick homemade bread (I used slices of my Wonder Bread).
  2. With the grill at mid-point in oven, turn broiler on. On a cookie sheet lay some parchment paper and spread some butter over it, about 1-2 Tbsps. Lay the pear in a single layer then dribble over some balsamic. Broil, basting and turning, until pear is soft.
  3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the milk until just below boiling and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Whisk until it just starts to brown.
  4. Whisk and add the beer slowly. It will bubble up, which actually helps break up the roux. Cook another 3 minutes, whisking, until thick and smooth.
  5. Add the cheese, the egg yolk, and the mustard. Cook until the cheese melts and everything is well combined, then season with black pepper and set aside to rest a couple of minutes.
  6. Turn on the broiler. Arrange the bread onto a cookie sheet and the pear slices on top. Spread the cheese sauce until it spills over the edges of the toasted bread; this prevents the edges of the bread from burning under the broiler. Put in the oven to grill for 20-30 seconds or until it's bubbly and starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment