There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

PUBLISHED - Potato Quiche

1 - A surprisingly light quiche. The potato flavour is not very strong and blends very well with the other ingredients.
2 - Didn't have enough cheddar so used parmesan to get the right amount of cheese. It added another dimension as an option. I would like more custard to seep into the potato so poking holes into the bottom layer or something will be the next test.
3 - The potato glommed together so before putting in pie shell I chopped it up on a chopping board. Worked well. Still delicious.
4 - Also makes for an excellent cold dish for picnics and hot days.

1 blind baked pie crust
1-2 Tbsps butter
8-10 oz potatoes, skin-on, grated
1 bunch chives, chopped fine
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional, substitute 1.5 oz of the cheddar for parmesan for an added kick)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
  1. Blind bake the pie crust if it isn't already.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
  3. In a non-stick pan melt the butter and fry the grated potato over medium heat until just al dente.
  4. Add the chives and turn off the heat, only slightly cooking the chives. Set aside.
  5. In a bowl, whisk the eggs then add the cream, milk and mustards. Mix well.
  6. Put the potato at the bottom of the crust. Make sure the potato is in small pieces so that the custard can seep into it; it may have glommed together into masses while pre-cooking. 
  7. Following the potato is a layer of the grated cheese, and finally pour the egg mixture over all.
  8. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the centre is set, the custard is puffed up and browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment