There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Testing - Roasted Maple Brussels Sprouts

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015042-maple-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-toasted-hazelnuts
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DEFD81331F934A35751C1A9639C8B63

1-My sister did an admirable job with this for Easter dinner 2017. I screwed up the time, and now I'm not sure if we discovered that 30 minutes is more than sufficient or if I miscalculated the timer and 45 minutes is correct!
2 - Again I was distractable - I made this for a St Patrick's day dinner (green doncherkno) and I was making several dishes at the same time. However, I think the extra 15 minutes is indeed too much. The sprouts sat around a little before being eaten, which means that some of the crispiness of the caramelized bottoms was lost. Nonetheless, they were very much appreciated.

1½ pounds brussels sprouts
¼ cup olive oil
¾ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon (or 10 grinds) black pepper
2 tablespoons maple syrup

  1. Heat oven to 400 F. 
  2. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. 
  3. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
  4. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally.
  5. After 15 minutes, stir the brussels sprouts to even out the browning and add the maple syrup by drizzling over the sprouts
  6. Bake for After another 15 minutes, stir in the maple syrup.
  7. Check that the sprouts have somewhat deflated and the bottoms are brown. If not, cook another 15 minutes for a total of 45 few minutes, or until the sprouts are quite brown and tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment