There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Hummus - PUBLISHED

1 and 2 - Since the skin of the black chickpea is quite coarse, the hummus will have quite a bit of texture. I haven't tried processing the be-jaysus out of the paste to try and break it down some more because it's quite good as it is.
3 - I'm removing the 'black kabuli chickpea' from the title. I'm testing with regular (more easily accessible) chickpeas. I followed the recipe and in the past I have not followed the recipe. More olive oil I think would better help to get that smoothness, and I didn’t have enough lemon juice on hand, even though I put in the amount in the recipe.
4 - This was good! The hummus will be a little liquidy but will firm up a bit after refrigeration.

1½ cups chickpeas, cooked (½ cup dried)
½ cup + cooking liquid (save chickpea cooking water known as aquafaba)
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 2 lemons
½ cup Tahini
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
  1. The day before, put the chickpeas in plenty of water and bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Allow to soak overnight.
  2. Next day, cook until soft, about an hour.
  3. Drain and keep ½ cup of cooking liquid.
  4. Dump all the ingredients in a food processor and run until it becomes a smooth-ish paste. Add a little more cooking water if it's too thick.
  5. With a spatula scrape down the sides and process again to get any bits that may not have gone through.
  6. Taste to correct the seasonings.


No comments:

Post a Comment