There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, April 24, 2017

Anda Masala (Northern Indian Egg Curry) - Test 2

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/08/north-indian-egg-curry-recipe-anda-masala.html

1 - Wonderful! I made adjustments to use what I had on hand. I've made note, but I'm looking forward to trying this with fresh tomato to taste the difference.
2 - Still very good. Ben suggested that it's a very versatile recipe. He would like to see if upping the amount of spices would work.
3 - Fresh tomato is a clear winner in my books.
4 - I think I got it down! On to the 3 tests.
5 - Made it again, and it was good.

4 large or extra large eggs, hard-boiled
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seed
1 medium (100gr) onion, finely chopped
3-inch piece cassia bark or cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 tsps ground coriander or coriander seed, toasted and pounded
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium or 1 large ripe tomato, pureed (about 3/4 cup or 10oz.)
1 cup water
1 Tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
  1. Peel the cooked eggs and let them soak in water to cover while you prepare the sauce. This soaking seems to prevent the whites from getting too rubbery. Set aside.
  2. In a medium skillet or wide, shallow pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seed and cook, stirring, for about 15 seconds, until slightly darkened and fragrant.
  3. Add the onion and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 6 minutes, until the onion starts to brown. Add the coriander, red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic, and salt.
  4. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, until the garlic has lightly fried and is aromatic. 
  5. Lower the heat and add the tomato. Cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring, until it no longer smells raw. Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavor.
  6. Meanwhile, drain the eggs, pat them dry, then halved each lengthwise. When the sauce has finished simmering, uncover and slide the eggs in, cut side up. Increase the heat to medium-low and simmer the eggs, spooning sauce on the top, until the eggs are hot. Adjust the heat as necessary. The sauce should cook down and thicken a bit during this final stage.
  7. Transfer the eggs and sauce to individual serving dishes or a communal dish. Garnish with the cilantro and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment