There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, May 5, 2017

Blue cheese scalloped potatoes - PUBLISHED

1 - the flavours are lovely! But it was swimming in fat, so that I had to serve in bowls. I've reduced the butter and altered the recipe a little to reflect this to see if it makes much of a difference. I suspect the Cambozola cheese is just a fatty cheese (the potatoes I used were old, so should have been plenty floury to absorb the fat).
2 - Nope, I can't reduce the amount of butter without reducing the amount of flour. I must have first published this a while ago, because of course you need 1:1 for a proper roux. I think the big success is switching the cheese, 'cause the mild blue of Cambozola makes for a lovely, smooth, slightly sweet dish.
3 - I've made this for non-blue cheese likers and lovers and both like the dish.

4  potatoes (1.5 lbs), sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, minced
3  Tbsps. 1 tsp butter
3  Tbsps. flour
1 1⁄2  cups milk
1  tsp. salt
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced fine
1 1⁄2  cups Cambozola cheddar cheese, sharp, grated (100gr?)
  1. Place oven rack in the middle position. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  2. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and sauté the garlic until starting to colour.
  3. With a whisk blend in the flour and cook until it turns pale golden.
  4. Add all the milk stirring constantly with the whisk to break up clods of flour, and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
  5. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally with the whisk, until the sauce thickens.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
  7. Place a quarter of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish or if you have an attractive oven-ready fry pan, it'll create a lovely rustic display and you only have to dirty one pan to make the dish! Alternate in quarters the cheese sauce and potatoes until you end with the last of the cheese sauce on top.
  8. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment