There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 22, 2017

Test 2 - Chicken in Caraway Sauce

Another recipe to convert from skinless, boneless chicken breasts to whole chicken cut into pieces. And the sauce is awesome!

1 - I think it worked well. Both of us were a bit wan tonight, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.
2 - Graduated to Test 1.
3 - Did it again to great success, but played a bit with the relationship between browning the chicken and making the sauce.

1/4 cup butter or vegetable oil
1 whole chicken cut into pieces
salt and pepper to season
3/4 cup beef broth
  1. Melt the butter in a sauté pan. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and brown well on all sides, 5 minutes, working in batches if necessary. 
  2. Add the broth, turn the chicken pieces, and cook gently for 15 minutes.
  3. Turn the chicken again, cover, and continue cooking until the chicken is tender, 15 minutes more, or until white meat reaches 165-170F and dark meat 180F. 
  4. Remove the chicken to a serving dish and allow to rest while making the sauce. Pour the remaining broth and measure out 1/2 cup (if the liquid reduced too much, add a bit of broth. If there is too much broth, boil it down before continuing with the sauce).
For the sauce
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion or 2 medium shallots, minced
OPTIONAL: 1 Belgian endive or 5 large Romaine lettuce leaves, cut cross-wise, in thin strips
2 Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Over medium heat, cook the onion or shallots (and leaves if using) in the oil until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the caraway seeds and continue cooking until the onion or shallots are lightly browned, an extra 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add the cider vinegar and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon (remember, browned bits = flavor!).
  3. Add the stock and cream; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced to a generous 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Dijon mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Return the chicken to the pan, coat with the sauce, and allow to reheat if the chicken has been resting for more than 10 minutes.
  5. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment