There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, May 26, 2017

Test 3 - Brie and Sausage Bruschetta

http://thetuscangun.com/recipe/26-bruschetta-with-sausage-brie-cheese-and-fresh-herbs/

1 - Beyond all expectations, this was very good.
2 - I got a "this feels like the food of my people. I can imagine them eating this 300 years ago." I call that success.
3 - 2018-04-01 This time, fed to a larger group, I got "this is what bruschetta should taste like." I like it when people tell me that my food tastes the way it's supposed to. It means that I've achieved the flavour that their imagination dreams of. :)

6 slices of bread (enough to cover the bottom of a cookie sheet)
1 Tbsp olive oil,
1lb Italian sausages (mild or hot) casings removed
½ lb Brie cheese, rind removed and fine cubed (as possible)
1 onion, chopped finely
1 handful Tbsp of rosemary, chopped finely
1 handful Tbsp of sage, chopped finely
½ cup of white wine
More olive oil (a nice extra-virgin oil would be good, here) for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
  1. In a cast-iron pan sauté the meat and the onion in the oil until the meat starts to colour. 
  2. Add the wine, rosemary, and sage and cook until the wine has almost completely evaporated, then set aside. 
  3. Toast the bread to golden. Toast the bread, preferably over a grill or a barecue. A toaster is fine, but if you want, put the oven rack at the mid point. Place the bread on the cookie sheet, then in the oven. Now, turn on the oven at 450F and keep an eye one the bread. It should just toast, and in my oven it toasts by the time it reaches temperature. I then take out the bread and turn on the broiler. 
  4. Slice and pinch the brie to evenly cover the bread. 
  5. Sprinkle the sausage mixture over the cheese. Arrange the slices of bread to cover the bottom of the baking dish (what kind?). Evenly distribute the Brie cheese on the bread and top it with a tablespoon of the sausage mixture.
  6. Put under the broiler. When the cheese has melted, and the sausage starts looking crisp, it's done. Take the tray out of the oven.
  7. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, and freshly ground black pepper before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment