There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Test 3 - Penne with Asparagus and Blue Cheese Sauce

http://www.framedcooks.com/2014/07/blue-cheese-pesto-pasta.html
http://www.food.com/recipe/penne-with-blue-cheese-pesto-walnuts-and-asparagus-125997#activity-feed

1 - Quick, simple and delicious.
2 - Ditto. The changes I made originally still hold.
3 - This continues to be very good. I've made it with Cambonzola so far, no stronger blues, yet, but the only change that's required at this point with what I've done with it to this point is a baseline amount of salt to make the flavours pop. However, for some reason I would like to try adding Parmesan to add the saltiness before just adding salt. Will the Parmesan flavour interfere with the current profile, add to it, or be so subtle that only the saltiness require to make the other flavours pop be sufficient?

Serves 2 hungry people, easily multiplied

8oz penne
½ cup pesto
4oz blue cheese (crumbled)
1/4 cup Parmesan (to start)
1/4lb asparagus spear, cut 1 ½"
Pepper to garnish
Pine nuts, walnuts or breadcrumbs for garnish (toasted)
  1. Cook the penne, until al dente, 6-7 minutes.
  2. In a large serving bowl mash together the pesto and the cheese.
  3. During the last 2-3 minutes of the penne cooking time, add asparagus to pot and cook until bright green and crisp-tender. 
  4. While boiling, scoop out a ½ cup of pasta water.
  5. Drain penne and asparagus in colander. Add to the bowl with the pesto and stir to coat them well. Drizzle in enough pasta water to make a light sauce.
  6. Serve garnished with nuts or breadcumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment