There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Bacon, Gruyère, Thyme Pasta - Test 3

https://www.marthastewart.com/1520407/bacon-pasta-cheese-sauce-and-thyme
https://damndelicious.net/2013/11/01/gruyere-bacon-mac-cheese/

1 - First attempt, with changes I made, was quite good. I think I prefer it to the Bacon and Cheddar pasta.
2 - Another successful recipe.
3 - I was worried about the onions overcooking with the bacon, but it was really good. I'm adding optional parsley without even trying it because I can already tell that it would be a very good addition.

For 2 to 3 people as a main dish

12 oz spaghetti
100gr (about 7 slices) bacon cut into lardons
170gr onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 Tbsps fresh thyme, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 (23g) Tbsps butter
1 1/2 (15g) Tbsps flour
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup pasta water
1 1/2 cups (9oz) grated Gruyere
Optional - 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  1. Cook the bacon, onion, and garlic in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned, about 10 minutes. 
  2. Stir in chopped thyme. Remove from heat.
  3. MEANWHILE, put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water.
  4. Once the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring until it just starts to brown to cook out the raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk and 1/2 cup pasta water until smooth. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and whisk in cheeses.
  5. Return the bacon mix to medium-high heat; add the white wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cooked spaghetti and cheese sauce. Stir, only adding remaining pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until sauce is thick like a whipping cream and evenly coats pasta. Taste and season as needed. Serve, sprinkled with pepper and thyme leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment