There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Swiss Steaks - Testing

https://www.thespruceeats.com/old-fashioned-swiss-steak-3056883
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/73089/my-moms-swiss-steak/
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/swiss-steak-recipe-1917184
https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slow-cooker-swiss-steak/

1 - First attempt was very positive. I omitted the tomato which was good, and I added the broth and the cream which was good, however... I added the cream an hour before serving, and it curdled. I will try whisking it in at the end. Oh, and I did not have a tenderizer, so I just used a regular hammer and it worked!

2 to 3 pounds boneless bottom round chuck steak
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of oil or fat (optional: 1 popcorn kernel)
2 medium onions, sliced)
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp paprika (preferably smoked)
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup cream
(optional - 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce)
Garnish - 2 Tbsps fresh parsley

  1. Heat the oven to 325F. (for stovetop or crockpot instructions, disregard step 1 and see below)
  2. Trim fat from steak.
  3. Combine flour and seasoning. Dredge the meat in the flour mixture after every time you pound it to add more flour to it. Season meat with salt and pepper and put on a well-floured cutting board. Sprinkle more flour over steaks and pound with a meat hammer to tenderize. Continue to turn, flour, and pound until most of the flour is used. Cut steak into 6 pieces.
  4. Heat the oil in a large, heavy ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven (with a lid for later use) over medium heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking (or when the and add a single popcorn kernel. When it pops, remove the kernel and reduce the heat to medium.
  5. Fry the steaks until lightly browned on both sides, working in batches as necessary and avoiding any overcrowding. Once nicely browned, set aside (or put in the bottom of the slow cooker).
  6. Add the sliced onion to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent and lightly browned.
  7. Scootch the onion to the side of the pan, reintroduce the steaks and (if using a slow cooker, skip this and just) place the onion on top of steaks, add the tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, bay leaf and paprika.
  8. Cover the pan and bake or cook on the stove top over low temperature for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the steaks are tender. (If using the slow cooker, put on High and cook 2 hours, then reduce to low to cook another 3-4 hours)
  9. Before serving, stir in the cream. If the sauce is too thin, remove the solid matter to a serving plate and re-place the pan over medium heat. Combine 1 Tbsp of flour with 1 Tbsp cold water. Stir until no lumps remain. Stir into the simmering sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened.
  10. Pour sauce over steak, tomato, and onions on the platter. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if using.


No comments:

Post a Comment