There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Ginger Bug - Untested

A fermented soft-drink starter.

https://www.growforagecookferment.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug/
https://www.growforagecookferment.com/fermented-apple-ginger-beer/

1 Tablespoon organic ginger, unpeeled, grated
3 teaspoons raw sugar
3 Tablespoons filtered water, unchlorinated

  1. Add the unpeeled, grated ginger and the sugar to a jar. 
  2. Next add the water and stir it all around well until the sugar completely dissolves.
  3. Cover it up with a cheesecloth or other breathable cloth and a rubber band and let it sit on your counter for 24 hours. Stir it up a little anytime you think of it.
  4. Feed the ginger bug by adding 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon sugar, and a little bit of water.
  5. Keep feeding it and stirring it every day, and after a couple of days you should start to see some bubble action. When your jar is full, it's ready to use. See below on how to use the ginger bug to make a soft drink.

Notes
Total fermentation time before the ginger bug is ready to use is 5-7 days.
Soda recipes will require about ½-1 cup of ginger bug depending on how large a batch your are making.

To Make A Soft Drink

1 gallon (16 cups) liquid (unchlorinated water or fruit juice)
1 cup sugar
Additional ingredients, such as 1 inch ginger root, sliced

  1. Pour most of the water or juice into a wide mouth gallon jar, leaving several inches of head space (you will have a few cups of unused liquid left over).
  2. Add the ginger bug the sugar and any additional flavorings and stir well to dissolve the sugar.
  3. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth secured by a rubber band, and put in a cool,dark place to ferment, stirring vigorously daily.
  4. After a day or two you should start to see some active fermentation. Let it ferment for 5-7 days, then strain with a fine mesh strainer and transfer to flip top bottles.
  5. Let the bottles sit at room temperature for a day or two to build up carbonation, then refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment