There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Pasta with bacon, swiss chard and gruyère - PUBLISHED

http://www.oprah.com/food/pappardelle-with-bacon-and-gruyere-recipe#ixzz5s3wqeh2F

Serves 4 normal people or 2 farmers.

1 + 2 : made a few changes and we loved it both times. I think this may be in the third testing stage.
3 - almost there! I cut the gruyere cubes quite small and I feel like it was mostly lost. I will standardize the size to 1/4" to see how that goes.
4 - Very good, served it to Heather P who loved it. Used spaghettini instead of chunky pasta and cubed the cheese. I think cubed makes sense for chunky pasta, but I want to try grating it if I'm using spaghettini. I think the cubes turn into clumps in the long noodles and a creamy cheesy sauce might be better.

1lb Swiss chard, leaf separated from stem and sliced, stems sliced thin
2 tsps vegetable oil
2 oz bacon cut into lardons
3 garlic cloves
½ cup white wine
½ cup heavy cream
2 tsps chopped fresh sage
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
8 oz chunky pasta OR spaghettini
3 oz Gruyère, If using Chunky Pasta, cube 1/4"; If using spaghettini, coarsely grate
  1. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook chard stems for about 2 minutes, then add chard leaves and cook an extra minute. To save the water for cooking the pasta, remove the chard with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook until crispy and rendered; set aside. 
  3. Reduce heat to low, add the garlic and cook until just starting to go brown. 
  4. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half. 
  5. Add the heavy cream and sage and simmer for 2 minutes. 
  6. Add the salt, pepper and reserved chard; cover and remove from heat. 
  7. Return the pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and add to the skillet. 
  8. Toss the hot pasta with the sauce, Gruyère and reserved bacon until the cheese starts to melt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment