There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Bonhommes en pain d'épice - Testing

https://www.marieclaire.fr/cuisine/bonshommes-en-pain-d-epice-d-alsace,1212123.asp

Make dough 5-7 days before rolling them out! Wow, that's what's recommended. I may just test out the actual time required given that my understanding is that 72 hours is plenty.
It also asks for pine tree honey by preference - could I infuse honey with fir tips or something?

1 - I did not do a great job at the conversions. I did the 1:1 honey to flour ratio, and it was just sticky soup! The original amount of flour was 250g combine wheat and rye, and I ended up adding 850g (I think, or 600g? anyway, a lot) until I obtained something that looked like cookie dough. And the cookies did not come out crunchy but cakey and vaguely crunchy - they puffed up more than I expected. I still have to make the frosting. The jury is out on the flavor - the taste of honey is maybe too strong for me.

Makes 20 gingerbread men

3/4 cups (or 250 g by weight?) of honey (pine tree honey by preference)
1 2/3 cup (or 200 g by weight) of flour
1/3 cup (or 50 g by weight) of rye flour
zest from 1/2 orange
zest from 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp baking soda (2,5 g de bicarbonate d’ammonium (en pharmacie))
1/2 tsp baking powder (2,5 g de bicarbonate de potassium (en pharmacie))
A generous pinch of cinnamon powder
A generous pinch of cardamom powder
A smidgeon of gingerbread spice mix
4 Tbsps milk
1 handful dried currants
  1. Prepare the dough 5 to 7 days before using (is this necessary or is 72 hours enough?).
  2. To make the dough, warm the honey. 
  3. Meanwhile, combine the flours in a large bowl. Pour in the honey and mix until a firm dough is achieved. Wrap to seal and let sit at room temperature for 5 to 7 days.
  4. When ready to make the cookies, finely grate the zest of the citrus.
  5. Cut up the dough into small pieces and knead in the zest, baking soda and powder, the spices and the egg yolk (easiest using the dough attachment on a stand mixer). Knead until well combined. The dough should still be quite stiff, but if it looks too dry and cracks too much, knead in another egg yolk for the added moisture. 
  6. Preheat the oven to 325F.
  7. On a floured surface roll out the dough evenly to a thin 1/4" thickness. Cut out the gingerbread men, about 3-4" high. Use the currants for eyes.
  8. On a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet, lay out the cookies which can be quite close, but not touching. Brush with the milk. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until they've puffed up and caramelized to a lovely brown colour.
  9. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. They must be completely cooled before storing in an air-tight container to maintain the crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment