There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Winter Squash & Cabbage Galette - Test 1

http://mind-over-batter.com/pies-galettes/roasted-butternut-squash-and-cabbage-galette/

1 - This was pretty awesome. My changes and substitutions worked really well. Oh boy, the pastry was really good. I made it into two balls, started to roll one out, then smushed the second one on top, rolled it out part way, folded it back in on itself, and rolled it out a final time. So good. And the yogurt cheese was good, oh it was good. The significant difference was that a more accurate cooking time is actually 40-50 minutes, which I've indicated below.
2 - It's pretty tasty. I added some blue cheese just for fun and it was good. I baked it on a cookie sheet and the bottom was not as crispy and I think soggy in some spots. To try again because putting it on the pizza stone just put grease in the stone and now it smokes all the time.

3 1/2 cups (1lb) cabbage quartered, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick
3 1/4 cups (1lb) butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes about 1/2-inch thick
1 large red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsps mild oil
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
A double batch of pie dough
4 oz yogurt cheese made from full fat Greek yogurt full fat ricotta  cream cheese (half a block of cream cheese)
1/2 heaping cup Emmenthal cheese, grated
1/2 heaping cup Jarlsberg cheese, grated
1 generous cup of Gruyere, grated
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
1/4 cup coarse grated Parmesan

  1. Begin by roasting the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 425F. Adjust the oven racks to the lowest and middle positions. 
  2. In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, squash, onions and garlic with the oil and thyme, then arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. 
  3. Sprinkle ever generously with salt and pepper. 
  4. Set the vegetables on the lower and roast, stirring a few times, until just cooked and the vegetables are showing a bit of color; about 20-25 minutes. Remember that colouring means roasting means more flavour.
  5. While the veg roast, roll the pie dough into a 14" wide circle and place on a large flat baking dish like a large cookie sheet or on top of parchment to place on top of a heated pizza stone.
  6. Mix together the yogurt cheese and the gruyere together in a large bowl. 
  7. Once the veg are roasted add the hot vegetables and toss to thoroughly mix with the cheeses. Add more salt and pepper if needed. 
  8. Spread the mixture over pastry, leaving about a 2-inch border. 
  9. Fold the border over the mixture, pleating the edges. The middle of the galette should remain open. 
  10. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg then sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese. If you are using a pizza stone, carefully slide the parchment with the galette onto the pizza stone. 
  11. Bake on the middle rack until bubbly and golden brown, about 20-25 40-50 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment