There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Gelatine - Testing

0 - I harvested the broth after cooking pigs' feet in the slow cooker and it gelitanized beautifully, but it had a very strong flavour. It may simply have been flavouring from the other ingredients I put in. I wish to try it again but just to try to make clear gelatine. It was a bit of a challend but I've found these sources online. I will also check my historical cookbooks:

https://stirringchange.com/2016/09/05/homemade-gelatin-neutral-tasting/
https://www.susanmckennagrant.com/2014/12/07/its-all-about-the-pork-gelatin-no-trouble/
(above link talks about different cooking methods, but all for savory - to try for plain)

1-2kg of chicken feet or pork trotters (or both)
Lots of Water

  1. Place the feet in a large pot of water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then discard the water and rinse the feet well.
  2. Return the feet to the pot, with enough water to cover and bring to the boil once more. Skim any foam that rises to the top and discard.
  3. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, for 2-4 hours.
  4. Remove the pot from the heat and strain the liquid through a collander into a rectangular dish or tray, reserving the feet if you wish to pickle them or make head cheese. Allow to cool somewhat, before transferring to the fridge to set. 
  5. After chilling the liquid until it sets, scrape the fat off. This is excellent lard you can use for baking or cooking.
  6. Slice into cubes for convenient use and store in an airtight container in the fridge (for up to 3 days) or freezer (up to 3 months).


No comments:

Post a Comment