There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Hálfmánar cookies - Untested

http://cookiecompanion.com/halfmanar-cookie-from-iceland/?lang=en&fbclid=IwAR0e0iA_PMrBUNSQdK3d2vU-Ns8Vkbvl9CkNL_0MEwGVMY7mWXibIhNjN-w

about 20 cookies

1¾ cups flour
⅔ cup sugar + extra for sprinkling
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cardamom
pinch of salt
⅓ cup + 1 Tbsps ice cold butter, cubed
1 egg, separated (whisk the whites until just starting to froth - to brush on cookies at the end)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp ice water
grated rind of ½ lemon
⅓ cup rhubarb jam

  1. In a bowl mix the flour with the sugar, the baking powder, the cardamom and the salt.
  2. Add the butter, the egg yolk, the lemon juice and grated rind.
  3. Rub the flour mixture into the other ingredients with the tips of your fingers until rough crumbs form.
  4. Add the water and quickly knead into a nice ball of dough.
  5. Press flat into a disc. Wrap and put in the refrigerator to rest for about 1 hour or up to 72 hours. 
  6. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Roll out the dough until about ⅛ inch thick.
  7. With a round cookie cutter or large glass cut out circles of about 4 inches.
  8. Place on a cookie sheet covered with baking parchment paper.
  9. Place a scant teaspoon of jam in the middle of each cookie.
  10. Fold over and leave a little edge free. Press down firmly.
  11. Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with some extra sugar.
  12. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-15 mins. Or until light brown and done.
  13. Take out of the oven and leave to cool on the cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment