There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Crème Caramel Flan - PUBLISHED


0 - I know I've made caramel flans before, but I've never recorded my work. I'm looking forward to doing this... maybe today?
1 - This worked out very well, but 1 cup of sugar for the topping is way too much. A lot of it stayed solid on the bottom of the baking dish.
2 - I halved the sugar and it worked like a charm. Now, to experiment with more egg yolk!

1 cup sugar (for the topping)
2 cup whole milk
2 tsps vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
6 eggs (or 4 eggs and 1 yolk, OR 2 eggs and 3 yolks)
½ cup sugar
pinch nutmeg (optional)
  1. Heat the oven to 325°F. Bring a full kettle of water to the boil, and turn off the heat (this is for the water bath later).
  2. In a small stainless steel (for the light colour) saucepan, pour in the sugar. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the caramel. The layer of sugar shouldn't be too thick to allow for the sugar to heat evenly.
  3. Without any stirring (!) heat the sugar over low to medium heat until it starts to melt. This will begin at the edges and this is where caramelization starts. Be patient! DON'T turn up the heat - sugar can burn very quickly.
  4. Once the sugar starts to caramelize around the edges, use a rubber spatula to bring the caramel and melted sugar into the middle of the pan.
  5. Gently stir to make sure all the sugar is dissolving.
  6. Once everything has dissolved, continue to slowly cook watching constantly and closely ('cause it can burn quickly) until you get the colour you want - light caramel colour = sweeter; dark caramel colour is more complex with bitter notes. 
  7. Immediately pour the hot caramel into the cake tin and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Set aside.
  8. Pour the milk into the same saucepan, so that it dissolves and absorbs the remaining caramel on the bottom and sides for extra flavour. (If using the whole bean, at this point split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the milk, and add the pod.)
  9. Heat the milk just to the boiling point, turn off the heat, add the vanilla extract, cover, and set aside to infuse for at least 10 minutes. 
  10. Beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the nutmeg, if using. Once the milk has infused, whisk it into the egg mixture.
  11. Strain the custard over the hardened caramel and set the pan in a larger dish or roasting pan. Pour the boiled water into the bottom pan to come half-way up the sides of the flan dish. Transfer to the oven and bake until set, 45 minutes to an hour.
  12. Remove the flan from the oven and from the water bath. Run a knife around the outside edge to loosen the flan. Cool completely – even chill, if you like. To serve, flip the flan onto a plate, pour over any caramel remaining in the pan. Serve in wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment