There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Spaghetti alla Carbonara - Testing


1 - This was fine, in my opinion. It lacked something. I think I over-rendered the bacon, perhaps. Some Frankensteining may produce some different results.
2 - The key to success with this recipe is technique. I made it again, but because of the instructions, the timing was all wrong; the bacon wasn't cooked enough by the time the pasta was ready to mix in. The order of things make the timing more complicated than it needs to be so I'm changing it.

2 Tbsps olive oil
4 oz pancetta or slab bacon, cubed or sliced into small strips
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8oz 1lb dry spaghetti (SAVE 1/2 cup cooking water)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 - 2 oz) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  1. Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the pancetta/bacon and sauté until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered. Toss the garlic into the fat and sauté for less than 1 minute to soften. Set aside until pasta is ready.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender yet firm. Reserve a half cup of the cooking water to use in the sauce.
  3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a mixing bowl and set aside. 
  4. Just before the pasta is ready, reheat the bacon just to simmering then immediately drain the pasta and while it's still piping hot add it to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to thoroughly coat in bacon fat. 
  5. To prevent scrambling the eggs, remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken. 
  6. Thin out the sauce with a bit of the reserved pasta water, one Tablespoon at a time, until it attains your desired consistency. 
  7. Season the carbonara with several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt. 
  8. Garnish with chopped parsley to serve. Pass more cheese around the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment