There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 4, 2021

Italian Sausage Meat - PUBLISHED


1 - The two recipes I'm referencing are both very different from each other. This confirms my suspicion that there must be hundreds of different variations, and I will have to figure one out for myself. More on this first version.
LATER THAT SAME DAY - This was very good. I made baked stew of sausage, potato and cabbage with 1lb of it. The flavor was very good; Ben commented on how it lended itself so well to the broth. But, the sausage was dry. In one of the links it says to add backfat...
2 - I added the remains from rendering lard and the added fat seemed to make all the difference. I don't think it has to be this crackling stuff, just more fat. I will start to save cuttings of fat from roasts to add to the sausage meat when I grind it. Otherwise, the flavour is good.
3 - I have corresponded with one of my expert cook friends, Pao, and the problem with the dry sausage is that I haven't been using the correct cut of meat. I should be using leg or should cuts, and I was hoping to be able to use the loin, since it's my least favorite. Oh well, sausage is more adaptable than roasts are, so I'll use the leg I have to make sausage instead of saving it for something else.
4 - Argh. I made it again with leg roast meat, and it still comes out dry. My next attempt will be to use the larger holed sausage press thingy. I wonder if the size of the meat 'grain' makes a difference in retaining tenderness...
5 - I've been making it with ground pork and it still seems a bit dry but is a definite improvement. I've also decreased the sugar to 1/2tsp, but that doesn't seem quite enough.
6 - Changing it for 1 lb mean instead of 3 for easier conversion.
7 - I've used this recipe I don't know how many times, so I'm just going to publish it.

1lb ground pork (not lean)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar OR 2 Tbsps+2tsps white wine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1 tsp cracked black pepper
dash nutmeg (optional?)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 - 2 Tbsps fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp paprika
FOR HOT = 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
  1. Place the pork and red wine vinegar in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients. Knead until you can see flecks of spice evenly distributed through the meat.
  2. Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs. Freeze and keep in a sealed container to retain moisture, or cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.
  3. USE THE LARGER HOLED SAUSAGE PRESS EMBOUCHURE.

No comments:

Post a Comment