There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 11, 2021

Rissoles - Testing

from The Victorian Family Save-All, Hint 11

1 - In The Family Save-All, it appears, mentions a pastry made with beef dripping. Pastry? 
This first time I just followed the recipe. It's good, but a bit plain, and I'm not a fan of deep frying (it's the smell), so the pastry is interesting to me since then I could bake it, perhaps? The cakes are quite big and one per person is plenty enough. I forgot to to grin the onion with the beef but it was a good idea to double-mince the beef so I added the onion the second time around. A second run through the grinder for the onion would be a good idea for my unit. I'm sure other grinders can mince more finely.

600g cooked beef cut into chunks
1 large onion cut into chunks
2 tsps Worcester sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Beef Stock Cube
25g flour
2 eggs
For the Coating
1 recipe of this pie crust
1 egg yolk
100 g flour
1 egg
5fl oz milk
150 g breadcrumbs
  1. Start by preparing the pie dough.
  2. While the dough chills, chop up the beef into smallish pieces and cut the peeled onion into quarters.
  3. Pass the beef and onion through the mincer.
  4. Add the flour, Worcester sauce, salt, pepper, crumbled stock cube and eggs. Blend the mixture.
  5. Break up the mixture into 6 equal balls, mold and then slightly flatten like potato cakes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  7. Roll out the pie dough to about 1/2", fold to bring the edges to the center in 5-6 folds, like the petals of a flower, and roll out again; repeat one more time before rolling out to a thin 1/4".
  8. (What size circles to wrap the rissoles? How to shape and fold and seal?)
  9. When re-forming the dough, do not knead, just roll up or fold up and roll out again. 
  10. Continue until all the cakes are wrapped.
  11. Brush each rolled cake well with egg yolk.
  12. Bake in the oven for 25-50 minutes (??? so many different instructions. Essentially, bake until the crust is golden brown).

  1. Take 3 bowls. In one put the coating flour. In the second bowl put the eggs and milk, whisked together. In the third bowl put the breadcrumbs.
  2. Dip each beefcake into the flour, coating it, then into the egg mixture, coating it, then finally into the breadcrumbs making sure each beefcake is totally covered in crumb. These rissoles can then be cooked immediately or stored in a refrigerator until required.
  3. Pour sufficient oil into a large frying pan so as the depth is approximately 1cm. Over a moderate flame wait for the oil to become moderately hot. (Test by sprinkling a little breadcrumbs into the oil - if it sizzles, the oil is ready).
  4. Add the rissoles to the frying pan and cook each rissole for 8 minutes. Then turn each rissole over and cook for a further 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on some tissue paper. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment